FOOD – Having Lunch in Kampala is a must for every one who leaves home to go to work. However where you have lunch will vary from price, location, distance or how busy you are during lunch time and so on and so forth.
There are some really cheap places with all the food going for 2,000 Ugx with a glass of juice at an extra 1,000 shillings or less. Now this is the cheapest and because it is cheap then the surroundings are likely to be not that good now that the price is friendly to your wallet. These places are very easy to come by and so we will not dwell on them so much.
- Uhuru – Nice Pilau, Chapati and Juice. Should you mess to have such a meal from Uhuru, you can be sure you will be full for the rest of the day and no need for supper. A nice way to save for most folks. There is a Standard Chartered Bank down town, while there you should be able to see UHURU’s flags inviting you for Pilau. Price is about 3,500/-.Given the price it is not easy to get where to sit.
- St Anthony on Lumumba Avenue and Kyaggwe Road are your home for local food. These guys normally give you an assortment of foods ranging from Matooke, Rice, Pumpkins, Meat in Ground nut stew, Boiled Beef/Chicken etc depending on your preference plus Juice. Price is 10,000/-(Drink Inclusive)
- Diners Choice at Hotel Equatoria – Now these are good and there food is really tasty. Walk into Hotel Equatoria through Bombo Road and make your way to the first floor. You will serve yourself. The price includes a soft drink and at the end of the meal fruits will be at your disposal. The price is around 7,000 or 8,000/-
- Antonios Grill – “English Breakfast at 3,000” is there grabber statement but that aside you can also find some food on the go. The food at Antonio’s is relatively cheap.
- If you are on the side of Jinja road, you could as well go behind Club Rouge on Nkrumah road, you will be amazed of how many food clusters you will find there going for at least 5,000/-with a drink. Otherwise food of 1,000/- can still be got somewhere along Uganda Railway area. This lane has parking but not even multiplex operates in that area. At 1,000/- shs you have lunch and 500 for a drink but again do not question the sanitation because it is 1 pound technology.
- Buganda Road Opposite Kampala Central Police Station-Try them lunch time and you will be surprised of how many people have lunch here.
- Joys Joint Wandegeya – With Yakobo’s having closed in Ntinda, I think Joy’s Joint in Wandegeya is one of those places left for that animal for those who fancy it. Zanzi on your way to Kiwatule can still do the trick.
I think we have tried to address the food points but with the credit crunch biting you might get to some of these places when they have long closed shop but for now they are still operational.